Best Movie: Frozen

Disney’s latest animated venture’s popularity continues to snowball nearly two months after its release date, which is one reason among many it ranks as one of 2013’s best. Inspired by Hans Christian Anderson’s story, “The Snow Queen,” the movie follows royal sisters Elsa and Anna, voiced by Idina Menzel and Kristen Bell, in their relationship with each other and as they each learn lessons about life and love. Elsa struggles to control and hide her magical power to create snow and ice, until on the day of her coronation she slips up and exposes her secret as well as casts a frigid winter over the kingdom of Arendelle. Elsa runs away to the top of a mountain and vows never to return to Arendelle. So, good sister that she is, Anna goes after Elsa in hopes of bringing her home and restoring summer to the kingdom. Along the way Anna joins forces with Kristoff and Olaf, a friendly snowman. Refreshingly, the movie’s plot focuses more on the sisters’ relationship than the romantic relationships between Anna and Hans and later, Anna and Kristoff. Disney finally shows its princesses find themselves as Elsa embraces who she is and Anna learns that love at first sight isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. And, of course, everyone out there with a sister sheds a tear when Elsa saves Anna, proving sisterly “true love” conquers all.