On the recruiting trail, Bulldogs ready for National Signing Day

With college football’s national signing day just a few days away, teams have put the finishing touches on their 2014 classes. According to ESPN, Mississippi State University currently ranks No. 13 in the country with 18 commits to date. The Bulldogs are also ranked No. 13 in the SEC.
    Commitments to date:
    Jamoral Graham: 5’11” 180 pounds ATH
    Graham is the highest-rated player for the Bulldogs. He is speculated to become a cornerback once he arrives on campus. Graham will be one of the fastest players in the class.
    Jesse Jackson: 6’1” 195 pounds WR
    Jackson is the only other player in MSU’s class that is rated in the ESPN top 300. He is touted as a big-time deep ball target and could push Joe Morrow for playing time once on campus.
    Aeris Williams: 6’0” 210 pounds RB
    Williams, a West Point product, will look to continue the trend of strong running back play at MSU. It may be a few years until he can earn regular playing time, but he has the potential to be very good. 
    Elijah Staley: 6’6” 208 pounds QB
    The dual-sport player, also a basketball recruit, has had a rocky senior season. He was asked to leave the football team mid-season after several disagreements with the coaching staff. He will be hoping to take Dak Prescott’s role in the offense in a few years.
    Geri Green: 6’4” 215 pounds OLB
    Green garnered scholarship offers from several SEC schools. He should fit in well with the other linebackers with his long, athletic frame.
    Lashard Durr: 6’1” 181 pounds ATH
    Durr will most likely become either a wide receiver or a cornerback. He has tremendous leaping skills, which could make him an ideal red-zone threat for the Bulldogs.
    Brandon Bryant: 6’0” 185 pounds ATH
    Bryant has been the center of some controversy over the past few weeks. Bryant took an official visit to Southern Mississippi even after the commitment to MSU. It is expected that he will honor his commitment to the Dogs, though.
    Will Coleman: 6’6” 250 pounds DE
    Coleman is the best junior college player MSU has committed. He is a huge player. He will try to fill the void of Denico Autry as the big defensive end that rushes the passer.
    Deshon Cooper: 6’4” 215 pounds OLB
    Cooper will likely be redshirted his first year on campus. He is an athletic player but needs to add strength to compete at the SEC level.
    Darrion Hutcherson: 6’7” 260 pounds TE
    Hutcherson was a highly sought-after junior college player, and he committed to the Bulldogs just a few weekends ago. He will be a big target for Prescott to look at when the team is in the red zone. 
    Dontavian Lee: 6’0” 205 pounds RB
    Lee will probably be looking at a redshirt year. If he wants to make the field for some playing time this season, he will have to highlight his terrific route-running ability out of the back field.
    Chris Rayford: 5’11” 183 pounds CB
    Rayford is a guy that could contribute right away on special teams due to his size and quickness. Rayford could get some looks in the secondary next season if injuries strike again.
    Nick Fitzgerald: 6’5” 208 pounds QB
    Fitzgerald joined the team during winter break, after graduating early, and impressed the coaching staff with how well he kept up with the veteran players. Do not be surprised if Fitzgerald pushes Staley as the incumbent behind Prescott for the years to come.
    Logan Cooke: 6’4” 200 pounds K/P
    Cooke has a tremendous leg. He could contribute right away in the punting game. He has shown improvements over the past year in field-goal kicking as well.
    Braxton Hoyett: 6’3” 274 pounds DT
    Hoyett will need to continue to improve his technique and keep hitting the weight room when he gets to campus. He is not very athletic, so the key will be improving in other areas during his first season.
    Deion Calhoun: 6’3” 300 pounds OG
    Calhoun has the size and tools to contribute one day down the road. He will be going through the development process at MSU with the hopes of one day starting.
    Jordan Harris: 6’5” 299 pounds OT
    Harris is another player that has the tools and potential to compete some day down the line. A redshirt year and a few years learning technique will go a long way for him.
    The one MSU wants?
    Tee Shepard, a cornerback, is high on MSU’s list. He has had trouble staying in school, though, so the real question would be if he qualifies.
    Biggest need?
    Offensive line is the biggest need so far for the Bulldogs. They have lost out on recruiting battles for almost all of their offensive line targets. Look for MSU to turn up the intensity for their last few offensive line targets.
    What to look for on NSD?
    Last season, literally days before national signing day, Fred Ross switched his long time commitment to MSU seemingly out of nowhere. It is very difficult to predict these kinds of things, but do not be surprised if MSU comes away with a flip or two as the deadline approaches.