2014 VMAs leave viewers buzzing, Beyonce steals show

Wardrobe malfunctions, twerking, politically incorrect statements — and, oh wait, can’t forget the showstopper – Beyoncé. The 2014 MTV Video Music Awards stood up to its reputation and created noteworthy buzz Sunday.

The show commenced with  actress turned singer Ariana Grande performing her hit single “Break Free.” Grande was followed by singer Nicki Minaj, who everyone presumed would deliver a rendition of her scandalous “Anaconda” music video and give last year’s salacious performer, Miley Cyrus, a run for her money. 

Although Minaj’s performance was full of suggestive dance moves, the audience was more focused on the wardrobe malfunction which ensued after “Anaconda.” 

When Cyrus won the award for video of the year for her “Wrecking Ball” video, she directed an unknown man towards the stage while Cyrus herself stayed back at her seat. When the man spoke, the audience learned that he was a runaway/homeless youth — a very bold, selfless move on Cyrus’s account.

The award show also involved a tribute to late actor Robin Williams and a moment of silence for Ferguson, Missouri teen Michael Brown. It brought the audience together as viewers remembered the iconic actor and acknowledged the shooting victim. 

Other performances of the night included Maroon 5, Taylor Swift, 5 Seconds of Summer, Rita Ora and Iggy Azalea, Usher, Sam Smith, and last but not least, the one and only Beyoncé. 

Beyoncé owned the 2014 VMAs with her larger-than-life 15 minute closing performance. Needless to say all eyes were on Bey anyway due to the recent rumors surrounding marital problems with Jay-Z, and her performance definitely seemed like an attempt to put the gossip to rest.

Jay-Z appeared on stage with  Blue Ivy after Beyoncé’s epic performance to present her with the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard award. It was truly an emotional and sweet ending to an epic night in MTV award history and will unquestionably be one which is remembered for years to come.