Forde demonstrates dedication, hard work for students

John+Forde
Courtesy Photo | John Forde
John Forde

John Forde exhibits relentless effort an extensive understanding of his craft in the Mississippi State University communication department.
     Forde began his career at MSU in 1987. He has always been a vital instrument in the communication department and the evidence of that was shown July 1, 2004.
     “I graduated in ‘83 and came back to the school to teach in ‘87,” Forde said.
     Positioned as head of the communication department 10 years ago, Forde served as a professor in addition to his promotion.
     “The position of department head varies. There’s a lot of different things to do, and it’s different each day,” Forde said.
     Forde has not only been motivated in his field, but he has motivated other instructors in the department as well.
     Instructor Karyn Brown recalls receiving immense help from Forde.
     “He really has been a mentor. He took me under his wing as new colleague,” Brown said.
     Brown entered MSU at the same time as Forde, and they forged a bond almost immediately.
     “We started at State together 21 years ago,” Brown said.
     Forde not only helped Brown on campus, but encouraged her to get involved by nominating her for awards.
     “He nominated me for the PRAM educator of the year award that I just received,” Brown said.
     Students as well as faculty find Forde dependable and seek him for help with internships as well as jobs.
     “He really has a heart for students and a desire to help them find internships and jobs. He helps them network in their fields,” Brown said.
     When describing Forde’s personality, Brown said everyone appreciates him.
     “He doesn’t have an enemy anywhere. Everyone just loves Dr. Forde,” Brown said.
     Forde not only is known on campus for his experience, but he is also known in the industry.
     “He is well known in our industry and nationwide people know about him,” Brown said.
     Jalisa McGaha, senior majoring in journalism, remembers her first encounter with Dr. Forde.
     “I came to know him through my principles of public relations class,” McGaha said.
     McGaha recalls multiple times she sought out the help of Forde.
     “He is very helpful. There are multiple times where I went to him directly when I needed explanations of something,” McGaha said.
     Forde makes his student feel like a top priority.
     “He always drops everything for me,” McGaha said.
     Forde teaches his Principles of Public Relations class both on campus and online. He can be found several days out of the week smiling from his door greeting students who need help in any area.
     “When we work to together to accomplish something or to come up with something new, that’s the best part,” Forde said. “I know it may sound cliché, but it’s true.”