Keenum speaks on construction, new building projects pending

Mississippi State University is building a classroom and parking garage to solve limited classroom space on campus.
Other construction projects that will start later in 2015 include a new Meat Science Laboratory building near the Wise Center, an addition to the Mitchell Memorial Library, renovation of the YMCA, a new Baptist Student Union, a South Entrance Road and the renovation of the MSU Tennis and Softball Complex.
The new facility will be for general use of all students taking general educational classes. The features of the building will include state-of-the-art equipment in a classroom setting. It will span a total of 150,000 square feet; the classroom portion is 90,000 square feet and will house 21 classrooms.
Additional parking will be available on campus because the building will include a two-level parking deck with entry points from George Perry Dr. and Barr Ave.
The parking is 60, 000 square feet offering 143 spaces.
Approximately 11,600 students can be taught a day, during use if all the seats are filled to capacity. 
The Mitchell Memorial Library staff will be on hand to make digital assets of the library available. It will also include a large auditorium style classroom and a number of traditional lecture style classrooms.
According to MSU President Mark Keenum, the design of the building is reminiscent of the Old Main Dormitory that was destroyed by the fire in 1959.
“ I like the idea of connecting this new structure with one the most iconic buildings from our past.” Keenum said.
The project was proposed for completion with construction in the middle of January 2016 but because of contract disputes between the general contractor and his subcontractor, completion is planned for August 2016, in time for the Fall semester.
The New dining facility on the South side of campus will be done July 15 and start officially serving meals in the fall of August 2015.
Keenum also said Evans Hall is behind on renovation.
“There are existing Americans With Disabilities Act issues and other building code difficulties,” he said. “Our housing department performed an evaluation of the existing residence half space, and it was determined that new bids were needed.”