Blurred Lines’: MSU’s NAACP attempts to raise awareness about stereotyping, discrimination

At Mississippi State University, the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People is focused on the protection of rights for all students. As a step toward ending stereotypes, the MSU collegiate NAACP has created a year full of events.

On Tuesday, the organization will host an event to open the eyes of faculty and students to the intended and unintended stereotypes we create and face every day. 

“Blurred Lines,” held in Allen room 13, will begin with a privilege walk.

All participants will form a line and will move forward or backwards according to their answers with each question asked. This activity depicts the variety of discrimination each participant has endured in their lifetime.

Next, the students will be given a number and escorted to three rooms. Each room will have a participation lecture about three types of stereotypes: Southerners, African-American males and females and athletes. Skits and an open question session will follow, allowing any and all thoughts and comments to be shared about the event.

The MSU chapter of the NAACP was founded in 2000 with the help of both African American and white supporters. Jhona Gipson, vice president of the MSU NAACP chapter, said she hopes this event will consciously allow people to address the issue of stereotyping.

“Stereotypes inadvertently affect us every day. Our goal as a group is to form a bond and together break these stereotypes,” she said. “We are committed to protect the rights of all people. This event will bring awareness and hopefully change the stereotypical world we live in.”

As a chapter, the NAACP on campus welcomes all potential members and supporters. In addition to “Blurred Lines,” the group will host a thrift store and fashion show in mid-October.

Gerah Baker, event planning chair for the organization, said the NAACP is not exclusive for any one type of people.

“The MSU NAACP is oriented for the advancement of all people. Diversity is something to be cherished. We welcome all people from every walk of life. This is a year for change, and we want an army of changers standing with us,” she said.