Mississippi tuition increase proposed

Tuition for in-state universities in Mississippi could increase for fall 2015 by an average of 3.2 percent if College Board approves for the Mississippi University for Women to raise prices.
According to a WCBI report, the board voted on a two-year tuition plan last year, and most universities will not make changes now.
The report states Mississippi residents would pay a statewide average of $6,718 for two semesters of full-time tuition and fees, which is up by $272. The University of Mississippi and Mississippi State University would see the largest increase of tuition and fees by five percent, which is nearly $7,500 a year.
According to WCBI, this proposed increase is due to universities needing additional funds to increase faculty salaries, cover operation costs and make up for cuts to state aid. Reportedly, appropriations to the university system had an increase of almost $40 million this year.
It still remains more than $55 million short of the $782 million it received in state money in the 2008 budget year. On a per-student basis, aid has decreased even more during the economic downturn.
Reportedly, MUW originally planned to keep prices flat next fall, but now wants to raise tuition and fees by 2.5 percent, which will amount to $5,781 a year.