Student organizations provide enrichment

In the past eight years, I’ve spent 1,056 hours practicing. That evens out to five-and-a-half days per year marching, playing and learning drill — because for the past eight years, I’ve been a member of a marching band.

In a survey conducted by the National Association of Student Personnel Administrators (NASPA), 65 percent of students said participating in a large campus organization helps them learn to balance their social lives with their academic lives. For every one of the four semesters I’ve been a member of the Famous Maroon Band, I’ve taken at least five classes and been involved in another on-campus organization. I’ve also managed to work and have a social life without spending all of my time worrying about my grades. I’ve been involved in everything from theatre to Relay for Life to sorority life. Personally, having certain obligations every week in addition to attending classes helps me keep up with my schoolwork. For example, I know everyMonday through Thursday I have rehearsal at 5 p.m., and after band, I’ll spend a few hours doing homework — or, on the rare occasion I have none, I’ll watch something on Netflix and turn in early.

Another 25 percent of the NASPA survey respondents said their grades increased when they joined a campus organization. Some of this is due to the grade requirements larger organizations hold. And, as a member of a larger organization, you’re likely to meet more people who can help with any difficult classes. I can’t express how many times I’ve asked someone in band for help with a class — after all, with 350 members, it is the largest student organization on campus. With that many members, it’s easy to find help for any class.

If you’re into big organizations that work toward bettering themselves and the university, there’s a place for you. The Famous Maroon Band is the largest student organization on campus. We perform at halftime every home game, travel to away games, organize a basketball pep band, march in the Christmas parade and come back from our Christmas break early to go to any postseason game.  It’s a lot of work, but it’s fun. Band isn’t for everyone. Alternatively, being part of the Student Association allows you to help plan homecoming, Bulldog Bash or really anything. Large campus ministries give students a place to worship and fellowship with others who share their views.

Large organizations aren’t for everyone, and that’s okay. That’s why they say that “there’s a club for everything,” when you go to orientation. If you like Disney movies, there is a club for that. If you were a majorette in high school and still like to twirl, there’s a club for that. If you just really love bass fishing, anime or ballroom dancing, there is a club for you.

In addition to helping students balance their social and academic lives and increasing grades, campus organizations are resume-builders. Most employers look for well-rounded individuals. On average, employers prefer their potential employees be involved in more than one extra-curricular activity.

When I decided to join the marching band as a freshman in high school, I had no idea I was making the best decision of my life. I’ve been to Nashville, Memphis, Atlanta, Jacksonville, Baton Rouge and countless other places. I’ve made some of the best friends I’ve ever had and had fun everywhere I’ve been. Eight years later, I can attribute my good grades and well roundedness and even my job, to band.