Rick’s Cafe hosts memorial for Starkville icon

Gerald+Berry
Courtesy Photo
Gerald Berry

At 8 p.m. on Saturday, Starkville residents plan to gather at Ricks Café on Highway 182 East to honor Garcia Gerald Berry, Jr., the city’s icon who passed away this past year on New years Eve. 
The memorial will begin with a silent auction of unique art and donated items. Jeffrey Rupp and Drew Dieckman will play at 8, Bill Cooke plays at 9, following will be the Dips and later the Flat Head Ford will play. There will be door prizes throughout the night. T-shirts will be for sale as well.
Chris Curry, Berry’s roommate who first him at Mississippi State University in 1970, said he got the idea of a memorial for Berry when he was in the cotton district.
“I felt we wanted something that people could walk by and be reminded. We kind of worked around with all kind of ideas something to keep this memory engaged,” Curry said.
Becky Ray, Starkville resident, said when Berry passed on New Year’s Eve, the day after her son was married, it was devastating. She said everyone thought Berry would be around forever.  
“Chris and I talked of all the people that would never have their picture made with or by Gerald. We wanted to keep his memory alive by honoring his life and all the people he met, influenced, encouraged, etc. Chris is a musician and plays with several bands,” Ray said. “Gerald always promoted local musicians, so all of them knew him. We decided to host a memorial for Gerald to raise awareness of homelessness and raise money to build a memorial to Gerald.” 
Berry was born Garcia Gerald Berry Jr. in Lyon, Miss., in 1947.
Ray said Gerald promoted music and the love of life for students, faculty and the people of Mississippi for 40 years.
“He touched so many lives attending MSU. At first it was just to be a memorial or a fundraiser. It grew into the website and much more. This has been a major undertaking for us. Neither had any website experience and little experience in organizing such as this. We have had enormous support and assistance from everyone and are very grateful for all,” Ray said. 
In honor of Berry, residents created friendsofgerry.com to remember the Starkville icon.
Berry’s friends said they remember him saying, “When I die I don’t want people to be sad. I want all my friends to get together and have a big party, celebrate and be happy.”