Student Association gears up for new year

Brett+Harris
Emma Katherine Hutto
Brett Harris

After voting polls were pushed to Thursday due to Mississippi State University’s campus closure in light of inclement weather, the Student Association executive electoral campaign has finally come to a close.
The new SA council positions will transfer into effect on March 18.
Clint Pride, Student Association elections commissioner, said it is his job to ensure and protect the integrity of every election, something he said he has done his best to do.
“The candidates have done a great job campaigning, and there were not any problems with the elections,” Pride said. “We congratulate everyone who won their positions, and we really look forward to their service at MSU and their willingness to be a part of this association.”
Michael Hogan, outgoing SA president, said he recalls his journey as president as an incredible experience, something that has allowed him to have a brighter perspective on MSU.
“Within the SA we’ve seen an incredible growth internally,” Hogan said. “The quality of the organization has grown, and we’ve tried to make it a more personable experience than in the past. It’s been an experience where I feel like I’ve put a relatable and reliable face to the organization.”
Hogan said the perceived difficulties of being the SA president include pulling off a great Bulldog Bash or getting students to come to Cowbell Yell, but he said he encourages the new SA president to remember what is important for the MSU population.
“The truly hard and most important task is building relationships and building upon them,” Hogan said. “It’s important to transmit these relationships for people who come after you. I would rather be completely forgettable and have the new president be the best one. You’ve got to pass along something that is transparent and perceived as important to people.”
Eddie Huddleston, outgoing attorney general for the SA, said his position entails updating the SA constitution and enforcing the values attached to it, something proven to be essential to the guidance of the MSU student population.
“It’s been a great road, and I feel I’ve accomplished this task as well as my alignment with freshman involvement and improving student retention,” he said.
Huddleston said he advises the future council members to follow projects that are close to their hearts that will improve MSU and not only follow what others have done before them.
“We represent every student at MSU, and we need to keep that in mind with everything that we do,” Huddleston said. “I’ve absolutely enjoyed doing this, but it does take a lot of time and energy. However, when you work for a school that has given you so much, and when you’re working to improve the lives of students, it makes it all worth it.”