Harris named 2014-2015 Student Association president

Brett+Harris
    Courtesy Photo
    Brett Harris

Mississippi State University’s Student Association announced Brett Harris as its incoming 2014-2015 president Thursday evening. 

Harris, a junior management and marketing major, received 65.94 percent of the votes and defeated Emma Sweat, junior elementary education major. 

Harris has said he plans to create an online system for students to buy and sell football tickets, work with Aramark to allow students to spend Flex dollars at sporting events and give students the opportunity to replace parking fines with MSU-designated community service.

Harris said he also intends to create a food bank for students in need at the end of each semester with the remaining block meals on students’ accounts.

Junior political science major Haley Grantham, who ran unopposed, will serve as vice president. 

Grantham’s platform included creating new routes for pedestrians and bicyclists, allowing students to use Flex dollars at Barnes and Noble and making campus more environmentally-friendly.

Lauren Sledge, sophomore elementary education major, defeated McKinley Ranager for secretary with 57.85 percent of the vote. 

Sledge has said she intends to improve transparency between SA and the student body by tweeting SA Senate agendas. She said she also plans to raise money for the Student Relief Fund during homecoming week.

Junior management major Chance Dye defeated Chloe Cantor for treasurer with 60.91 percent of the vote. 

Dye has said one of his goals for the SA is to create new campus events by providing funding to smaller SA Cabinet positions. He said he also hopes to ensure the 2 percent food-and-beverage tax is renewed next year to benefit events for students.

Matt DeBerry, sophomore management and marketing major, defeated Adam Buckley for the attorney general position with 52.9 percent of the vote. 

DeBerry’s platform included creating reserved seating for student organizations at football games and publicizing SA Senate legislation to create a more informed student body.

Outgoing SA President Michael Hogan said 3,852 votes were cast in the election, which is about the same number cast in last year’s election.

Hogan said serving MSU as SA president was an incredible experience and he is confident the new executive council will work hard for the student body.

“I think with any new exec, you’re going to start off with a brand new slate, and it’s a really cool opportunity to watch what these five individuals do with this slate,” he said. “I think the five of them are more than capable and more than willing to do the job they were voted to do.”

The new executive council members will undergo transition until officially beginning their roles on March 18.