Benefits of student involvement: MSU’s finest leaders offer insight, wisdom

Along with hitting the books, staying focused and attending class, involvement is imperative as a student on Mississippi State University’s campus. 

There are a plethora of ways to get involved with clubs and organizations at MSU. The benefits of getting involved are beyond comprehension. Involvement sets the tone for students’ college careers. The importance of giving back to the university and community cannot be overstated. Listed below are some vital reasons to make connections throughout campus early on from students that are heavily involved with the university.

Brett Harris, Student Association President: “One of the benefits of getting involved is being able to give back to your community. Whether you are serving the university by recruiting new students or raising money for charity through events you plan, giving back through involvement is something every MSU student should strive for.”

Mialee Billingsley, former Freshmen Council Cabinet member: “I feel that it is so important to get involved on campus because of the relationships that are formed. I was able to meet so many people that I would have never met without being involved on campus. I was able to find support, encouragement and help when I needed it from every person from all the organizations I was involved in.” 

Charlie Stocks, Alumni Delegates President: “Extra-curricular involvement gives students an opportunity to develop skills that are essential for life after college that you can’t learn in the classroom.”

Catherine Case, Honors Council member: “Being involved shows leadership, that you are willing to work hard and go the extra mile, and it looks good in a resume.” 

Lauren Tedford, Orientation Leader: “You learn more about an organization that involves all different people from all walks of life. It’s great to feel like you’re needed and to be a big part of something bigger than just being a college student.”

Time invested within MSU’s wide selection of extra-curricular activities is time well spent. The positives far outweigh the nonexistent negatives. Start off freshman year right by getting involved early.