Guide to what’s what in the world of Mississippi State

Mississippi State University’s campus is beautiful and homey. The beautiful brick and abundant trees make for a lovely stroll to class. One thing that is great about the campus is how centralized things are around the Drill Field, the hub for anything and everything that takes place on campus. The Drill Field allows for swift walks from class to the library, the Perry Cafeteria, the Colvard Student Union, the State Fountain Bakery and the Chapel of Memories. 

You’ve all heard plenty about your meal plans and have probably been through the Union on student tours, but there are some other great hangouts or quiet places on campus to study, eat or simply chill with friends. McArthur is an excellent, small cafeteria over by Giles, the architecture building. It offers a more home-cooked type of menu. A study break after frantically cramming for exams in the library is also a must. Einstein Bros. Bagels is conveniently located in the library for just these situations. If you get sick of studying in your dorm or in the library, campus has some other great study spots. The chapel is peaceful and quiet, the second floor of the Union has some comfortable spots and there are some study rooms in McCool Hall.

While it is important to know all of the greatest places to study on campus, the most essential locations to seek out are wonderful hangout spots. The fountains on either side of the chapel are absolutely beautiful, and there are also good places to sit back and relax in the chapel’s tranquil environment. Above the post office are some rocking chairs that will make you lose track of time. The Bakery is always filled with fun and noise, so good luck trying to study there, but it’s a great place to take Perry Cafeteria to-go boxes. Hanging out in the Perry is fun, too. It’s a beautiful cafeteria. The grassy area in Zacharias Village is a great place to throw a frisbee or meet up with friends on campus and hang out at the outside tables. Go to the trees outside Sanderson to set up your hammocks.

Night walks or runs around campus are really fun, too. The campus is very well-lit, so it is safe to do so as long it is not too late. After a good workout with some friends, lay in the grass outside of Hilbun and look at the stars. You can get a pretty good view there. The loop around the lake is also well-lit at night and fun to run. Walking into freshman year is intimidating, but you’re coming to a beautiful campus and a laid-back school. Spend your first few weeks exploring.