Attorney General Candidates Q&A

Eddie Mac Huddleston
Q: What are some things you would like to improve on in the attorney general position?
A: “The first priority of any attorney general has to be to maintain the integrity of the SA constitution and that will certainly be my priority as well. In addition to that I just want people to know what exactly the senate does and how much influence the senate can really have when utilized properly, and I want to really empower people to be able to use the senate and the senators to their full potential. Additionally, I’ve worked with Freshman Forum the past two years, and I want to make sure as many freshmen on campus as possible get the opportunity to have a good running start as far as leadership goes on this campus, and so that’s why I want to implement a freshman mentoring program as well.”
Q: What are some issues or roles you would like to reform?
A: “I think that I’ve had a lot of good role models as far as SA Executive Council goes. As for my background, I have served as a cabinet member before and attorney general works closely with the senate so I think that I’d be able to bridge the gap well between the executive branch and the legislative branch to create a more well-rounded and more productive SA that communicates better between the branches.”
Q: If elected attorney general, how can your position better the overall student experience?
A: What I would like to do with the influence of attorney general is to create a mentoring program where these students can easily connect with SA leaders and other leaders from organizations from across campus so that any questions they may have can get answered. They can get advice on how to get involved and how to interview and things like that, so that they can really become good leaders on this campus from an early stage.”

John Williams
A: “Well, definitely transparency. Just going to the SA website you’ll see that there haven’t been any updates as far as legislation, bills and amendments since Rhett Hobart was president. That was much over a year ago. I definitely want to improve the transparency of the SA.”
A: “Well definitely trying to check up on other organizations on campus. I know, being president of another organization, we never hear from SA except whenever they need help with programming. I think SA, especially attorney general, has potential to be like a legal adviser to a lot of other organizations. I think that’s something that a lot of organizations need. Some of them have bare minimum constitutions or bylaws and the attorney general can provide insight as far as legal issues and different thing involving the constitution.”
A: “I think, first of all, letting people realize that SA is obviously an organization, but it’s also the student governing body. It’s kind of like the big umbrella over everything. Most people look at it as just another organization so I want them to know that SA is another organization, but it’s also the governing body. They are here to promote themselves, but they are also here to help other organizations by reaching out saying ‘We are here for you as well, for you and your organization. So let us know what we can do for you.'”