Schaefer brings winning tradition to MSU

After 28 seasons of coaching, Vic Schaefer, a native of Austin, Texas, landed in Starkville as head coach to the Mississippi State women’s basketball team.
Schaefer coached in many different positions at multiple schools around the country. A former All-State athlete in basketball, football and baseball, Schaefer said he had his first coaching moment as a player during his high school basketball game.
“I called timeout after the other team started an 8-0 run,” Schaefer said. “That was the first time I thought, ‘I could have a career in coaching.'”
Years after his first coaching moment, Schaefer found himself in a head coaching position for the boy’s basketball team at a high school in Houston, Texas, before becoming an assistant coach for the men’s basketball program at Sam Houston State. After a one year tenure at Sam Houston State, Schaefer went back to his old high school job in Houston, then returned to SHSU in 1990. This time, however,  SHSU hired Schaefer as the head coach for the women’s program.
Schaefer said his start at Sam Houston was not an easy task.
“There were three players on the roster when I got the job,” Schaefer said. “The program had to be built from the ground up.”
Schaefer immediately brought success to the Lady Bearkats. He coached the team for seven years, finishing in the top-four in the country his last three years as head coach.
In 1997, Schaefer found himself in Fayetteville, Ark., as an assistant coach at the University of Arkansas, where in the first season, the Razorbacks would find themselves in the Final Four. This would not be the last time Schaefer would coach a Final Four team, however.
In 2003, Schaefer became the associate head coach at his alma mater, Texas A&M. In his eighth year at A&M, Schaefer was back in the Final Four. Two games later, Schaefer celebrated with his team after the Aggies won the 2011 NCAA Women’s Basketball National Championship.
Schaefer said through his experiences, he has learned the keys to success.
“I have the blueprint,” Schaefer said. “I know what it looks like, and I know what it takes to be successful.”
After the 2012 season, MSU announced Schaefer as the new head coach for the women’s basketball team. Schaefer’s playing philosophy is to create pressure on defense, as well as run an attacking offense in order to control the pace of the game.
“We want to make it tough to score,” Schaefer said. “We do not want you to score on some pretty play you drew up in practice.”
State graduated six seniors last season, making this year’s team young. MSU currently has one senior on the roster, with the majority of the team being freshmen and sophomores.
These young players have been tested this season, and have a current record of 8-10. On Sunday, the Lady Bulldogs will face off against in-state rival Ole Miss. This will be Schaefer’s first rivalry game as the MSU head coach, and he said he is excited about the game.
“I’ve played in many meaningful rivalries in my years as a coach,” Schaefer said. “I am excited, and I know these girls are going to be ready to play.”
Schaefer and the Lady Bulldogs tip off at Humphrey Coliseum at 2 p.m. Sunday in hopes of winning a big conference game. Schaefer said the atmosphere at the Hump will be key for his team Sunday.
“The student body’s support is important in everything that a school does,” Schaefer said. “We have great students and great support, and we would like to continue that for the rest of the season.”