Steele opts not to play final year at MSU

Jalen Steele will not play his senior season with the Mississippi State University basketball team, the university announced Tuesday. 
The release stated Steele, who has suffered a string of injuries in the Maroon and White, will instead focus on graduation in the spring. The Knoxville, Tenn., native tore his ACL twice and suffered a broken wrist during his three years as a Bulldog. Steele appeared in 78 games and averaged eight points, two rebounds and dished out 72 assists for his career. 
Basketball head coach Rick Ray said in a statement Steele overcame obstacles with injuries, and he will support Steele as he pursues his degree.
“What Jalen has experienced with injuries has been extremely unfortunate,” Ray said. “He’s battled through a lot of adversity, and it’s important we do everything we can to support and help him earn his degree from Mississippi State.”
Steele took to Twitter Tuesday to voice his frustration about the decision, one that appears not to be mutual.
“I came back last year to play ball and also for the people of Mississippi State we a family but there is always a home wrecker,” he tweeted from his  Twitter account @JalenSteele0. 
In a separate tweet he said he initially wished to continue to play for MSU.
“All I wanted was a redshirt and come back stronger next year but they got what they wanted…,” Steele tweeted.
Steele also let it be known he does not have any intentions to cease his pursuit of his basketball endeavors.
“Hilarious I’m not done playing just wanted to take a year off to get stronger and be strong for my senior year,” he tweeted.
According to the NCAA website, student-athletes who have graduated are subject to the same release requirements as undergraduates and must have at least one year of eligibility remaining. Steele may transfer and play immediately in the 2014-2015 season if he graduates from MSU this spring. 
With Steele’s departure, seniors Wendell Lewis and Tyson Cunningham and junior Roquez Johnson are the lone Bulldogs left from the Rick Stansbury era.
MSU’s basketball team begins practice on Sept. 30 in preparation for its regular season opener on Nov. 8 against Prairie View A&M in the Humphrey Coliseum.