“Breaking Bad” breaks down: Tumultuous, influential AMC series’ last episode airs Sunday

“Chemistry is, well, technically chemistry is the study of matter. But I prefer to see it as the study of change.” – Walter White, “Breaking Bad,” season one, episode one. 

Television does not usually deal with change. Many shows have one protagonist, and the series evolves around him or her. Settings and situations change, but at the end of the day those characters remain largely the same as when the show began. “Breaking Bad” was always honest about its intention from the moment Walter White, played by Bryan Cranston, uttered the quote above in episode one. How far could one man go, how far would one man fight to remain relevant in the world after his time passed?  

The premise of “Breaking Bad” is a middle-aged chemistry teacher gets lung cancer and begins to cook methamphetamine so he can leave behind enough money for his family to survive. Originally, Walt is not a malicious individual. As the show moves on, Walt slowly changes into someone that not only provides for his family but wants to build an empire. Walt transforms like a chemical reaction from a guy who puts in extra hours at a car wash to someone willing to commit murder to survive. 

Carefully watching a new episode of “Breaking Bad” compares to watching an epic like the “Odyssey” or “Iliad” unfold onscreen. Picking up on what colors the characters wear and how certain scenes are filmed rewards viewers. “Breaking Bad” is layered with symbolism and subtext that make the sum of the show greater than any other production in the modern age of television.  

Vince Gilligan, creator of “Breaking Bad,” describes Walt’s journey as “taking Mr. Chips and turning him into Scarface.” Over five seasons, the audience saw Walt dive deeper into an amoral world. Every character who posed a threat to Walt’s empire was either killed, or “sent to Brazil” as one character puts it, or has had their life ruined by rival gangs or Walt himself. 

“Ozymandias,” episode 14 of season 5, currently has a perfect rating on IMDb after 30-thousand critical reviews. This was the episode where everything Walter White had worked for over a year’s time crashed down around him. Walt let the very antithesis of what he represents tear down his family and empire in one fell swoop. 

Brian Shoup, an assistant professor in the Department of Political Science, said he believes Walter has not met his match,but succumbed to a lesser threat. 

“Walt was beat by the agrarian level people he hates the most. He perceived himself as untouchable, but he’s really a pitiful sociopath,” Shoup said.  

Walter White is cancer. He infects everyone he encounters, and his pride leaves them by the wayside. The penultimate episode of the series, “Granite Slate,” saw Walt in shady protection in New Hampshire as his cancer returns, his empire is in the hands of the men who ruined him and his family suffers personally and financially. Fans now wonder, what does Walt have left to fight for? 

Tenor Kapp, senior finance major, said he hopes to see a finale that delivers both intensity and closure. 

“This is the single most important episode because it is the last taste we will ever get,” said Kapp. “If it has an unfavorable ending, it could hurt people’s views on the whole series.”

Walt fights for what he believes the world owes him because of his genius. Going into the finale, Walter has nothing but a barrel full of money he cannot give the people he loves and his stubborn pride to make sure his name is not forgotten. The lies and secrets have fallen away. The tale of “Breaking Bad” comes to an end Sunday, and Walter White will be the one who knocks no more.