Q&A with Justin Ferguson, assistant sports editor at “The Plainsman,” Auburn University’s student newspaper

Q: With impressive wins over Washington State and Arkansas State, how high are expectations for the rest of the season? What record do you think Auburn will finish with come November?
A: The popular phrase around the Plains right now is “cautiously optimistic.” The opening win was great for fans to see after a dreadful 2012 campaign, but there were a lot of defensive issues in that Washington State game. Some of those issues were addressed in the Arkansas State game, when the Tigers gave up a bunch of yards but kept Gus Malzahn’s old team out of the end zone.
New quarterback Nick Marshall showed flashes of his dynamic playmaking ability against Arkansas State. He looked more comfortable in the offense than in the Washington State game, when he never really broke out of his shell. With a trio of impressive running backs alongside the junior college transfer in the backfield, Auburn fans are very excited about the offense.
I predicted Auburn would go 6-6 this season. I am going to stick to that prediction right now because I predicted the Tigers would beat Washington State and Arkansas State. A lot of this season rides on these first two SEC games. If Auburn can get a much-needed win over State this weekend and put up a solid performance against LSU, I could see the Tigers get as many as eight wins by season’s end.
Q: After going 3-9 last year, how has the team responded so far under a new coaching staff?
A: After watching the first two games of the season, I see a lot more fight and positivity in the Tigers than I did during all of the 2012 season. The players are buying into Malzahn’s offense, a system that most of them were recruited to play. Ellis Johnson’s 4-2-5 defense is more aggressive than ones under Gene Chizik, and more young players are getting a chance to make a name for themselves early.
I remember telling one of the other Plainsman writers at the end of the Washington State game that the 2012 team would have lost to the Cougars. Even after a late fumble, the offensive players picked their heads up and finished off the Cougars. Even after they gave up a ton of passing yards, the defensive players forced more interceptions in one game than they had in all of 2012. Through an emotional roller coaster of a first half and a gritty second half, the Tigers simply found a way to win
Q: QB Nick Marshall seems to be settling in well at his position. Can you grade him and the offense so far?
A: Nick Marshall’s first game at Auburn was a Jekyll and Hyde type of performance. He was erratic with his first few passes, overthrowing wide open receivers on what would be surefire touchdowns. In the second half, he concentrated on ball protection — something he had trouble with in junior college. Although it got the job done and he improved in the final two quarters, it was not what most fans wanted to see.
Against Arkansas State, fans got a glimpse of what Marshall can really do. He finally connected with his favorite deep ball target, Sammie Coates, on a long touchdown play. He was forced to make tough throws on third down, and he got a few chances on designed runs to show what he can do when the playbook is opened up for him. Marshall did commit his first turnover, a fumble that simply slipped out of his hands without any contact, but he was able to turn a C-level performance in week one into a high B in week two.
Q: Running backs Tre Mason, Corey Grant and Cameron Artis-Payne load the Tiger backfield. What kind of variety does each tailback bring to the running game?
A: Mason is a big play running back. His 1,000-yard 2012 season was probably the only bright spot in that dark 3-9 campaign. He is what I would call a do-it-all back: he has speed, strength, moves and he also brings in the added element of being a good returner. Mason broke a 100-yard kick return against Washington State, and he is always a home-run threat when you kick it towards him.
Grant, who hails from nearby Opelika, has seamlessly moved into the speed back role that Onterrio McCalebb had for Auburn. His teammates call him the fastest running back they have ever seen. The difference between this former Alabama back and other speedy ball carriers is his toughness. He can break more tackles than the average scat back, which makes him one to look out for this Saturday.
Finally, Cameron Artis-Payne is the big man of Auburn’s running back trio. More of a power runner than Mason or Grant, this junior college transfer is best between the tackles. He has taken some direct snaps in what I call the WildCAP formation, and he is a reliable option on passing situations with his blocking and receiving skills.
Q: Auburn’s defense held off one of the best passing offenses in the country in Washington State, including three interceptions. Who are some key defensive players fans should recognize going into Saturday’s game?
A: One of the key players in Ellis Johnson’s 4-2-5 system is the “star,” the safety-linebacker hybrid that lines up as the fifth member of the secondary. Justin Garrett was the man for the job during spring and fall camp, but a foot injury kept him to limited action in the first two games. Enter Robenson Therezie, a former safety who grabbed two interceptions against Washington State on his way to being the SEC Defensive Player of the Week (a rare award for recent Auburn players). Garrett got some more playing time against Arkansas State, but Therezie has said he fully believes he can keep the starting job. Whoever gets the nod, keep your eye on him.
On the defensive line, watch out for Auburn’s trio of true freshman playmakers. Tackle Montravius Adams and ends Carl Lawson and Elijah Daniel have gotten major minutes in these first two games of the season, and they have taken full advantage of their opportunities. Adams got a sack on his first collegiate play and provided most of the much-needed pressure on Washington State quarterback Connor Halliday in the season opener. Lawson got a late forced fumble and recovery against Arkansas State, a play that still has Tiger fans drooling.
Q: Auburn leads the all-time series 60-24-2 against the Bulldogs, including four of the last five meetings. How do Auburn fans view this rivalry?
A: If you would have asked this question a few years ago, you would have gotten an answer like this: “We’re Auburn you’re Mississippi State. We expect to beat you every time we play. Look at the record, that’s how this thing goes.”
But now, with Dan Mullen taking the Bulldogs to several bowl games and the beating State put on Auburn last season, not to mention the tough 2010 and 2011 games, Auburn fans view Mississippi State as equals as the Tigers rebuild their reputation in the SEC West. They know Mississippi State will give Auburn a tough game no matter what year it is. It is a growing rivalry that fans have come to anticipate each and every season. When you see Mississippi State on the schedule, you know the real season has started.
Q: Finally, who do you see coming out on top in Saturday’s match up?
A: I anticipate a close game that will come right down to the wire. While Auburn has had two wins to start off the season, Mississippi State has played a tougher opponent in Oklahoma State and got a week to work out some of the kinks against a weaker team. 
Mississippi State’s offense will get their yards against Auburn, and it will be interesting to see if the Tiger defense can continue its impressive no-touchdown streak that dates back to the second quarter of the season opener.
I see Auburn having an advantage in the run game, and this being a night game in Jordan-Hare will also be a boost for the Tigers.
I don’t do score predictions because I am always wrong, but I will give a margin of victory. This could easily go either way. It will come down to who makes the big plays in the fourth quarter, and I see the home team’s momentum pushing them to a one-possession victory. I predict either a touchdown or defensive stop by the Tigers in the final five minutes of the game, a signature moment that will show Auburn fans that it truly is a new day with Gus Malzahn on the Plains.