Making radio waves: Campus radio station 91.1 approaches 20th anniversary

Nearly 20 years ago, 91.1 FM WMSV became Mississippi State University’s campus radio station. Since its genesis, the station has provided the community with, as it claims, “world-class programming.” MSU students operate the station under the command of Steve Ellis, general manager, who said he encourages his DJs to consider their job at 91.1 a slot at a commercial station.

“Even though it’s mostly students, we run this like a professional station,” Ellis said. 

WMSV is classified as a noncommercial educational station. According to the Federal Communications Commission, this means the station cannot sell advertisements, although it can have sponsors.

WMSV selects music to play from the adult album alternative format, which means it selects music determined to be popular with the 18 to 50 age group, WMSV’s target demographic. The AAA pool includes artists like Dave Matthews Band, Counting Crows, Eric Clapton, The Lumineers, Imagine Dragons, Mumford & Sons, Of Monsters and Men, The Killers and Muse. 

Student DJs at WMSV do not have to be communication majors. For example, Adam Craven, senior business major, has been with WMSV for three years, the longest of any DJ currently spinning music at the station. Besides DJing on weekday afternoons, Craven said he also helps decide what new songs are absorbed into the station’s rotation.

“I’ve been here the longest now, so I’m the guy who gets to add new music to our selection,” he said. “I don’t get to pick what plays though — that’s decided way in advance.” 

Eight other student DJs work alongside Craven to keep listeners informed on songs that are playing.

In addition to music, WMSV and the student DJs act as a funnel for school activities and announcements. 

Another part of the WMSV family is the news team, a volunteer student group Ellis said is a great starting point for anyone interested in DJing. 

“The news team is where most of our DJs started out,” Ellis said.

WMSV has also sponsored concerts and charity events in the past, such as their 2010 Haiti peanut butter drive.  WMSV announces local events over its 70-mile broadcast range and reaches listeners as far away as Tupelo. 

WMSV plans to commemorate its 20th anniversary with two concerts in February and March (lineups have yet to be announced). As the station approaches this milestone in its history, WMSV looks ahead to the future for ways to provide MSU students with opportunities to learn the ropes of DJing and provide MSU, Starkville and north Mississippi with its world-class radio.