Bulldogs eager to give back to local, state community

“With great power, comes great responsibility.” 
This quote may be a cliché to anyone who is in charge or is in the higher tier of their business, but think harder about what it really means. This statement is simple, but yet so much goes into it. It asks the big question — If you’re someone that the public looks up to, how should you act so that you show the best qualities in yourself and your organization?
Nobody can deny once fall comes along and the leaves start to change, football has a stronghold at the hearts of many fans at Mississippi State University. Fans from all around Mississippi travel up to Starkville to experience this small college town on a game day. Fans come by the tens-of-thousands to show their school colors and ring their cowbells with undeniable school pride.
But what kind of pressure does this put on the football players and coaches? For young college kids that are thrust into the spotlight at a moment’s notice, they become instant fan-favorites and even idols for children. 
For head coach Dan Mullen, the presence his team makes in the community is one of the most important ideals he tries to get his players to realize.
“That’s always huge,” Mullen said. “We are at a small college town, and I think everyone, not just in Starkville, but the whole state, has a lot of pride in their university. So I think for our guys to be out in public and for us to be around, it shows that our kids are a part of the community.”
According to Candace Dailey, assistant compliance coordinator for MSU, the Bulldogs participate in multiple activities and events annually. The Dogs visit students at Sudduth Elementary School, Henderson-Ward-Stewart Elementary School and Armstrong Middle School during the Breakfast of Champions event. The team reads to students in Bully’s Book Blitz, visit children at Blair E. Batson Children’s Hospital, ring bells for the Salvation Army and participate in a Thanksgiving can food drive. 
Aside from group participation, many individuals are also active in campus organizations, Fellowship of Christian Athletes, Relay for Life and church youth activities.
Being a public figure in this day and age is difficult. With social media usage at an all-time high and privacy becoming harder to find, Mullen reminds his players that they are always looked at in a different light.
“I tell our guys this all the time, like it or not they’re role models,” Mullen said. “Even though they are 18 and 19-year-old college kids, people view them as role models.”
With the first SEC home game against LSU around the corner, the players also take notice in what the support of the MSU fans a student body means to them.
For breakout quarterback Dak Prescott, giving back to the people who come out and support them on the field is a high priority.
“It’s awesome,” Prescott said. “Those are the people that come out and support us every game and give to us, so any chance to give back to them or go out and speak to them, I’m all about that.”
There is no doubt pride runs heavy through the fans. They come in and pack Davis Wade Stadium every home game. Each home game for the last five years has been a sellout, and Mullen and his Bulldogs have proven to respond to the support fans give them.
“We take pride in not only this university, but in this town,” said Mullen. “We try to carry ourselves in the best way possible.”