Justin Timberlake’s “The 20/20 Experience: Part 2 0f 2:” Perfect vision, perfect sound?

Justin Timberlake is a triple threat. He is a singer, dancer and actor. He is the successor of Michael Jackson. Timberlake’s name has lingered on the lips of pop music enthusiasts since the “The 20/20 Experience”dropped in March. It became the best-selling album of 2013 so far, inspired the first N*Sync reunion in 10 years and increased the number of young men sporting the classic “Suit and Tie” combo regularly. 

Timberlake must have liked that taste of success because he continues to ride its coat tails. “The 20/20 Experience: 2 of 2” was released this week, and Timberlake’s sequel does not disappoint. Timberlake himself said that the “20/20 Experience” would be “an amazing consortium of eyes and ears.” Timbaland, Jerome “J-Roc” Harmon and Bob Knox produced “Part 2 of 2,” which draws from almost every musical genre. From pop to hip-hop to country,  “The 20/20 Experience: Part 2 of 2” includes a little something for everyone. 

The album contains just the right amount of synth, funk, driving rhythm, retro and even the occasional rift of an organ and electric guitar. Musically, the album is a dead ringer, but several elements cause it to fall just short of perfection. 

The lyrics of “Part 2 of 2” parallel their predecessor and often utilize corny and desperately seductive words. In his duet with Drake, “Cabaret,” Timberlake sings, “I got you saying ‘Jesus’ so much, it’s like we laying in the manger.” Such graphic words are truly unnecessary. Timberlake’s voice alone brings all the sex appeal the songs could possibly need.

The most unsettling factor of the twin albums is Timberlake’s decision to split up his two-disc masterpiece. The songs are thematically and musically similar and would have flowed naturally on a single disc. The success of the albums drags slightly, as it would seem Timberlake believes one can never have too much of a good thing. Not a single song on Part 2 is shorter than four-and-a-half minutes. These uncomfortably long tracks would be acceptable once or twice, but nine-minute long “True Blood” relentlessly beats the dead musical horse. Could it be that Timberlake is the slightest bit narcissistic? He cannot seem to whittle his work down to its core; he is unable to leave anything out. 

In the promotional video for this second wind, Timberlake said, “I just wanna go and go and go and see what we come up with.” 

And he went. He went and went and went. This excess works for him this time around, but here’s a word to the wise Justin: don’t cling to what’s unnecessary. Don’t be afraid to quit while you’re ahead. This isn’t basketball. There’s no need to leave it all on the court just yet.