Rhodes Scholar finalist demonstrates leadership

Donald+Brown
Megan Bean | Courtesy Photo
Donald Brown

Faculty and students of Mississippi State University cross fingers for Donald “Field” Brown, as he became a finalist for the prestigious Rhodes scholarship Oct. 31.
The Rhodes scholarship is an international award created by the will of Cecil John Rhodes, designed for the purpose of educating future leaders who would be committed to service in the public good and whose interactions in Oxford, England would promote international understanding.
The University of Oxford has contained two of the most prestigious graduate scholarships: the Rhodes Scholarships and the Clarendon Scholarships.
The interview process, which will determine if Brown will receive the scholarship, takes place Nov. 23 at the University of St. Louis.
Donald Brown, Vicksburg, Miss., native and senior English and philosophy double major, said becoming a Rhodes finalist requires more than simple academics.
“The idea is that you have to make sure you are a great student, you have to do community service and be an overall great leader,” Brown said. “When you think of what Cecil Rhodes wanted, he stressed wanting really intelligent people and well-rounded people who were involved in the community as well.”
Brown said he plans to get a Ph.D. in post-war African-American literature and attend one of his top-three graduate school choices of Harvard, Columbia or the University of Pennsylvania.
“I screamed out in excitement and called my mom, dad, brother and other family and friends when I found out I became a finalist,” Brown said. “They are very proud of me.”
Christopher Snyder, dean of Shackouls Honors College, said within the last 15 to 20 years, MSU has only had a few students reach the finalist stage.
“It’s exciting to see a student in humanities receive this honor. Rhodes Scholars overall have a heavy reputation in humanities,” Snyder said. “This university’s historical reputation has been strong in engineering and agriculture, so this shows the nation what outstanding professors and students we have here.”
Brown recently completed summer research projects at the University of Iowa and at the University of Stanford. He has received the Leadership Alliance Mellon Initiative Fellowship at Stanford University, the Kerry D. Kimbrough Memorial Scholarship for the College of Arts and Sciences at MSU and the Study Abroad Scholarship for the International English Honor Society of Sigma Tau Delta.
At MSU, Brown is the founder and co-editor-in-chief of “The Streetcar,” MSU’s creative arts journal, the Dean’s Student Advisory Council member for the College of Arts and Sciences and president of the Philosophy and Religion Club.
Snyder said Brown is a one-of-a-kind student whose humility underlines the fact that he is a great intellectual.
“You don’t just decide one year that you’re going to be a Rhodes Scholar,” he said. “You’ve got to have drive, ambition and a dream, and you’ve got to work towards that goal.” 
Snyder said Brown does not try to impress people with what he knows, but instead tries to learn from them and integrate what he knows.
“He’s all you can ask for in a student,” he said.
Tommy Anderson, professor of English and Brown’s mentor, said the Rhodes Scholarship is one of the highest fellowships for an American undergraduate.
“Field is a remarkable student who understands the complexities of literature and race in ways that are uncommon for undergraduates studying literature,” Anderson said. “He writes beautifully and thinks about broad philosophical topics in clear ways that are not bound by margins.”
Laura Dunn, admissions coordinator for the College of Arts and Sciences and Brown’s adviser, said college deans and faculty members have pitched in to help prepare Brown for the interviews.
“Everyone has been asking him intricate questions and doing mock interviews with him,” Dunn said. “The fact that he made it this far is a huge accomplishment, and we are very proud. He is incredibly intellectual, humble and extremely hard working with a great attitude. He always puts his best foot forward.”
Brown said becoming a finalist speaks volumes about the faculty and MSU as a whole.
“I’m a curious student. I like doing things, and I’m interested in ideas, but I had no sense of direction,” he said. “I feel in particular that Dr. Anderson and Dr. Snyder, along with other staff members, have been with me for a very long time and have really encouraged me. I’ve been pushed to do things that I probably would have never done.” 
The Rhodes Scholarships are the oldest and most celebrated international fellowship awards in the world. Thirty-two Americans are chosen each year as Rhodes Scholars. The Rhodes Trust, a British charity established to honor the will of Cecil J. Rhodes, provides full financial support for scholars to obtain degrees at the University of Oxford in the United Kingdom. For more information, visit rhodesscholar.org.