A little trashy: Trashion Show fills Giles Hall with avant-garde recycled designs

The National Organization for Minority Architecture Students (NOMAS) and Mississippi State University Fashion Board partner up to present a trashy fashion show Wednesday. 

One of Mississippi State University’s most popular events, the Trashion Show returns with its alternative kind of trashy. Trashion Show is a runway fashion show that takes place along the bridge and hallways on the top floor of Giles Hall, replete with innovative decorations, flashing lights and a thriving atmosphere. In the show, models from MSU Fashion Board wear outfits made of recyclable materials, such as paper, newspaper, glass, zippers, bottles and can caps. Architecture students design and craft these outfits, and the second annual JUNK 2 FUNK sale accompanies the runway show.

Shannon Sullivan, former member of MSU Fashion Board, said the partnership between NOMAS and Fashion Board works to favor both organizations. 

She said it is nice to see the spectrum of designs from architecture students, and the show is also an opportunity for Fashion Board members to model nontraditional outfits.

“The trashion show is inventive and creative,” Sullivan said. “You can’t really imagine what material is going to walk down the runway or how it will be used … it’s the anticipation of creativity.”

NOMAS President Anthony Penny said there are more designers and dresses to look forward to at this year’s show. There is more to display for the JUNK 2 FUNK sale in Giles Hall, and the show is an opportunity for architecture students to display their creative abilities.

“Trashion Show is a chance for people to see architects and students alike do more than just make buildings,” Penny said. “We are creative designers that are willing and able to take on any type of design problem, even designing an outfit.”

NOMAS member Jordan Hanson said he loves having the chance to create a design outside of the constraints and pressures of school.

“The best thing for me is … trying to challenge myself with the choice of material,” he said. “It’s just nice to take that break from architecture and do something completely unassuming.” 

The Trashion Show is not the only way architecture students can show off their design flair. The second annual JUNK 2 FUNK displays artwork, crafts and designs from not just architecture and design students but MSU students that span a wide range of disciplines. 

These hand-crafted items will be for sale, and a portion of the proceeds go to NOMAS. Penny said one new addition this year relates to JUNK 2 FUNK, as students will decorate the gallery space as well and hang insulation from the rafters.

With more designers and one successful year of the JUNK 2 FUNK sale under their belts, Hanson said Trashion Show’s hard-working, innovative students will provide unexpectedly sophisticated surprises for attendees.

“People should be looking out for the practicality and range of materials for the dresses and outfits,” Hanson said. “It’s always great to see how someone was able to transform a material and how they chose to connect them. That’s one of the hardest parts of creating an outfit, and it’s always interesting to see how everyone else chose to go about it.”

Penny said this show’s avant-garde style sets it apart, and the overall set design and music added to the various outfits MSU Fashion Board models and the art for sale will make this year’s show stand out. The Trashion Show is Wednesday at 7 p.m. in Giles Hall, and the JUNK 2 FUNK show will be open during the day. Admission is free, but donations are accepted.