Blackberry Smoke brings southern rock to Rick’s

Blackberry Smoke brings its distinctive southern rock sound to Starkville once again Friday at Rick’s Cafe.
Rick Welch, owner of Rick’s Cafe, said everyone could expect one thing from the band tonight.
“Put simply: badass southern rock,” he said.
The Atlanta-based band consists of Charlie Starr, Richard Turner, Brit Turner, Paul Jackson and Brandon Still. The band members are signed with Zac Brown’s recording label Southern Ground. Blackberry Smoke’s website describes the band as a mix of gospel, bluegrass, arena rock and a touch of outlaw country. 
The band is busy touring the country spreading its southern rock sound to all who will listen. More often than not, the listener likes what he or she hears. Every live concert Blackberry Smoke plays, the band goes home with a larger fan base. Welch said word is spreading about this talented group of guys and for one simple reason.
“The music,” he said. “These guys are packing rooms all over the nation now.”
Starkville is just one of the many stops the band is making on its journey to national fame. Welch said he does a lot of research before he picks a band to play at his bar and, every now and then, he comes across a band he knows has huge potential.
 ”Sometimes you can tell from listening to their music and watching their videos it’s just a matter of time before these guys get big, and I better jump in while I can still afford them,” he said.
He said Blackberry Smoke was one of those bands. He is personally a fan and said Starkville is a great place for the band members to play because of their appeal to all types of music fans.
“Even if their music isn’t specifically your thing, you certainly have to appreciate their talent and the love for their music is completely apparent when watching them perform,” he said. “Any music lover can appreciate that.”                 
Opening up for Blackberry Smoke is local band Jamie Davis and Soul Gravy. Blackberry Smoke allows the option of booking support, and Welch decided the two bands would make a great combination. Jamie Davis and Soul Gravy was quickly chosen after he sent songs to their management. He said Starkville should be proud to have one of its own opening up for Blackberry Smoke.
“They’re amazing and talented in their own right and have been playing here for years,” he said. “Seeing them both on the same stage on the same night will really be a treat for me personally, and I’m very glad it worked out like this.”
He also said the bar has a personal connection tie to Friday’s show. David Oswalt from Columbus worked at Rick’s Cafe until he moved to Atlanta and began working with the band as a member of the crew.
David Williston, graduate mechanical engineering major, has seen Blackberry Smoke live four times and looks forward to making it a fifth time Friday. He said he enjoys the band’s music because it is a good mix of southern rock and country.
“They are the kind of band recorded music just doesn’t do them justice,” he said.
Williston said the band puts on an amazing live show.
“I would describe the experience of seeing Blackberry Smoke live as a beer-drinking, face-melting extravaganza,” he said.
Welch also said he is certain the talented band will put on a great show Friday.
“This isn’t a front. They are the real deal,” he said. “They have slowly and patiently built a strong and extremely loyal fanbase all over the nation.”
Fans do not have to wait much longer to see the band in action. Doors open at 8 p.m. tonight. Jamie Davis and Soul Gravy will kick the music off at 10 p.m. with Blackberry Smoke following at 11 p.m.
Day of show tickets are priced at $15. To purchase tickets or read more about the band visit rickscafe.net.