Zombie craze rages in new film ‘Warm Bodies’

Vampires are so 2012. Move over and make way for the new “it” paranormal creature. Zombies are here and kicking off their 2013 campaign with “Warm Bodies,” a zombie romantic comedy.

This is a feel-good zombie movie directed and written by Jonathan Levine and adapted from Isaac Marion’s novel of the same name. It has action, romance, humor and plenty of gore for the true zombie fan.

Ashleigh Young, junior human development major, said the zombie love story had a lot more humor in it than she originally thought it would.

“It’s something guys and girls would both love,” she said. “It is an interesting mix of action, humor and chick flick.”

The movie is a Romeo-and-Juliet story set in a post-apocalyptic world where a virus has infected most of humanity. The virus has caused people to become zombies whose main food group is, of course, human flesh.

The main character named “R,” played by Nicholas Hoult, is a little different than most flesh-eating zombies. He still has a little bit of humanity in him. The humanity begins to spread when he meets Julie, played by Teresa Palmer, and falls in love with her. Soon, the cure starts to spread and other zombies start to come back to life.

Like many relationships, it is complicated. Her father, portrayed by John Malkovich, just happens to be the leader of a zombie resistant group posted up behind a large concrete wall.

Also adding to their troubles, a group of fearsome-looking skeleton zombies are creeping around up to no good. These creatures have lost all hope of becoming human again.

Though this may not be a typical blood-and-gore zombie film, it is a great watch for fans of all genres. Hoult is funny and endearing as R. Hoult is recognizable from his appearance in “X-Men: First Class,” but this role has possible break-out star qualities to it. He is funny during his voiceovers, especially when he is telling his zombie self not to be creepy toward human Julie. Ah, young love. Up next for Hoult is another starring role in “Jack the Giant Slayer.”

Hoult’s co-star Teresa Palmer is subtle and charming as Julie. Both actors do a good job of portraying how awkward young love can be. Especially when the potential boyfriend just happens to be dead. They do a much greater job than their “Twilight” counterparts and make the audience laugh instead of feel uncomfortable.

“Warm Bodies” was the No. 1 movie this weekend, garnering a 76 percent critic’s rating on RottenTomatoes.com and has received both good and mediocre reviews from critics.

Many zombie purists have had a hard time catching onto the lighthearted plot. Peter Travers of Rolling Stone said the movie “sells its soul to the gods of tween goo” and in turn makes itself more like recent movies in the genre. 

“‘Warm Bodies’ even suggests that true love can help the right zombie grow a new heart. That’s a con job that makes ‘Bodies’ lukewarm at best,” Travers said.

However, Mary Pols of Time disagrees with Travers.

“‘Warm Bodies’ is the first movie worth paying to see in theaters this year,” she said.

The movie also comes with a great soundtrack featuring anything from Feist to Bob Dylan.

“Warm Bodies” has a little bit of everything. For those who want variety, this film is definitely a must-see.