Super Water Sympathy set to perform at Dave’s

Riding in on a wave of atmospheric instrumentals, powerful female vocals and an amount of creativity in the well-crafted lyrics composes the collective group of artists known as Super Water Sympathy, set to perform at Dave’s Dark Horse tonight.

The musicians in the band include two brothers, Billy (bass player) and Clyde Hargrove (lead guitar), Jason Mills (synths), Ryan Robinson (drums) and Ansley Hughes (lead singer). 

The members of Super Water Sympathy were first introduced two and a half years ago by a mutual friend and a cousin to the Hargrove brothers and decided to begin working together as a band. Robinson gave a great amount of insight that helps the listeners understand more behind the music.

“Something we did was strategically choose people to play with that had all previously been leaders of another band,” Robinson said, recalling the beginning stages of Super Water Sympathy.  When asked about the band’s choice of not performing at all for the first seven months of creating music, Ryan said the group thought finding its sound and playing together as much as possible was important before presenting it to a live audience so that listeners would be surprised to see such a great new group of musicians.

So far, the group has seen only positive results from this type of band model. In the past year, the members of Super Water Sympathy decided to take on music as a lifestyle and quit the different day jobs where they had been working.

“My last day of work was this hilarious movie moment. As I walked out of the building where I worked, the RV pulled up and everyone was ready to head out West for this big adventure,” Robinson said, laughing. “I took one last look at the building, and as I got in the van, I saw my boss give me this nod of approval. It was really funny.”

Since then, the band has spent five weeks in London recording with producer Cam Blackwood (Florence and the Machine, Coldplay, Morrissey). Its most recently produced album, Hydrogen Child, will be released this spring.

“We are very pleased with the way the album turned out. We searched for a producer who could help us get the sound we wanted, and Cam Blackwood certainly did that,” Robinson said.

Every member in the group expressed a strong love for Starkville and Dave’s Dark Horse Tavern. The kind people, ground level stage, flowing energy and great music all make coming to Starkville a special event for Super Water Sympathy.