Congress must move past stubbornness, work to meet deadline

Last May I wrote an article that expressed my concerns over an increasingly uncooperative Congress regarding the members’ inability to make budget cuts and implement a plan to put our country on a path out of economic disaster.
A “super committee” was formed, agreeing to raise the debt ceiling by $2.8 trillion while promising to cut $1 trillion in spending and find $1.8 trillion in savings.
Failing to complete this task would trigger deep, undesirable cuts in defense and social programs, providing an incentive for both parties to compromise.
In November of 2011, Congress was not successful, forcing the mandatory cuts of the sequester to take effect.
To my surprise, we have yet to see the drastic ramifications of this congressional failure.
More than a year after the super-committee’s creation and many attempts to avoid the cuts, the sequester is to be carried out today.
Some assumed that the sequestration issue would have been solved last minute before taking effect, but as it approaches, my hope is diminished.
There will be a series of across the board cuts of both non-military government agencies and defense branches.
While many social programs are thankfully exempt from these cuts, including food stamps, Medicaid, Social Security and Temporary Assistance for Needy Families, many are not. Some of the alternative affects include slashes to Meals on Wheels, childcare and vaccines.
Some say the sequester will result in children being kicked out of childcare and close to 10 thousand fewer children receiving vaccines.
While we could also see damaging effects on our economy along with a great amount of job loss, I feel helpless as to what alternatives there are.
Having these consequences laid out for Congress is important – a sort of punishment for not doing their job.
No matter your fiscal views, changes need to take place to get our country out of debt.
I personally would rather see the very rich minimally affected (by higher taxes) than the poor and elderly forced into even greater uncertainty.
The way Congress decides to allocate funds to balance the budget, however, is less worrisome to me than the prospect of Congress avoiding the sequester again, pushing the deadline further.
This could be more dangerous than any proposed cuts, proving to Americans that Congress is entirely unable to get our debt under control.            
Congress’s inability makes each member responsible for allowing America’s economy to continue deteriorating.
Although the consequences of the sequester could be devastating for people who depend on the programs being cut, the provision is necessary due to the inefficiency of our divided leaders.
If Congress had been responsible enough to come to an agreement, moving past its desire to be stubborn (appealing to the voters of the far left or far right) we would not be facing these extreme cuts.
I’m criticizing Congress pretty harshly, but in all reality, the members are not solely to blame.
We did, after all, vote each member into office.
Our polarized, partisan views have made us responsible for the attitudes of the individuals leading our country and making crucial economic decisions.
Whether you identify as a Republican or Democrat, our responsibility as young people  is to demand leaders who will rise above petty partisanship to come together and make necessary changes.
When voting, remember to look for candidates who not only hold your views but also are cooperative and willing to make compromises.
Do not be fooled by popular politics to believe that cooperation is a sign of weakness. Without it, our democracy fails.