Breaking ground: walking track construction begins

Construction on the new walking and running track to be built around Chadwick Lake will begin soon and is projected to be open to the Mississippi State University community in September.
Joyce Yates, director of Health Education and Wellness at MSU, said a groundbreaking ceremony took place Tuesday and the Department of Health Education and Wellness is eager for construction to begin.
“Now it’s time to break ground, and it’s a great thing for MSU,” she said.
Yates said the MSU on the Move grant awarded to the Department of Health Education and Wellness by the Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Mississippi Foundation, is funding the track.
Yates said the Department of Health Education and Wellness has allocated all of the grant funds to promote fitness and overall health on MSU’s campus.
“All initiatives support increased exercise and better nutrition habits for all MSU community- – faculty, staff and students,” she said. “We hope MSU on the Move has been branded across campus so that people know it stands for health and wellness.”
In an email interview, Dan Whatley, construction administrator for MSU, said he expects construction to begin in approximately two weeks.
Whatley said Weathers Construction, Inc., from Columbus, Miss., will provide the construction services and the department of Facilities Management will supervise the project.
Whatley said the expected duration of the project is about five months.
“The contract calls for a 150-calendar-day duration, so we expect completion by the late part of September,” he said.
In an email interview, Bill Broyles, assistant vice president of Student Affairs, said MSU does not expect the track to create any serious conflict with the disc golf course around Chadwick Lake.
“We will need to relocate some tee boxes to make everything work together,” he said.  “The track and the disc golf course will occupy the same general area, but we do not envision any issues with people enjoying both at (the) same time.”
According to a news release from the Department of Health Education and Wellness, the concrete track will have a width of six feet.  An exercise loop of .15 miles on the north side of the Sanderson Center will connect to the .80-mile trail around Chadwick Lake for a total track distance of .95 miles.
Yates said she hopes the convenience of the new track will encourage students, faculty and staff to exercise regularly.
Yates added the health of the community is the primary focus of the MSU on the Move grant.
Yates said many segments of MSU, including the Student Association and the Division of Student Affairs, have cooperated to facilitate the construction of the new track.
“We’ve had so much administrative support. The SA partnered with us, and so many others have worked with us,” she said.
Yates also said she is confident the teamwork being put into the construction of the track will benefit MSU students.

“When you have people working together on so many levels, you know it’s going to be something for the good of the students,” she said.