MSU brings back campus tradition, plans to restore historic Bullring

A Mississippi State University tradition will soon become a campus staple again.
The Bullring, a D-shaped concrete seating area and gathering place where students would “shoot the bull,” will be restored in its original place in front of the Colvard Student Union before the beginning of the fall semester.
The Master Plan Development and Advisory Committee has approved the Bullring’s design.
Bill Broyles, assistant vice president for Student Affairs, said the project’s construction bids will open Tuesday.
“If the bids are within the estimated budget, we hope to start this project as soon as the contracts are finalized,” Broyles said.
Jeremiah Dumas, director of the Office of Sustainability and interim campus master planner, said construction should begin in the beginning of April and be completed by the end of July.
Construction plans are to move quickly to restore the Bullring tradition to campus.
 ”We got to obviously start first, but we are confident that we will have this iconic campus landmark back where it belongs soon,” Broyles said.
Many people connected to MSU are excited about the resurrection of the Bullring.
Jimmy Abraham, executive director of the MSU Alumni Association, said the bullring is a part of history that is coming back to campus.
“For so many years, alumni sat around the Bullring, and now they can do this again.  What great memories this will bring to them.  Not only this, but current students and others can sit on this same structure that their grandparents and others sat on years ago,” Abraham said.
The renovation of the Bullring has already brought back memories to some MSU alumni.
Eddie Keith, associate dean of students and MSU graduate, said the Bullring was very much a part of campus for a MSU student in the 1960s.
This project is also bringing back the tradition of a senior class gift.
Libba Andrews, associate director of the Alumni Association, said bringing back the Bullring is important for historic reasons as well as for re-implementing the senior class gift tradition.
“The senior class gift is important because it signifies the love of the place the seniors have called home for several years, and it sets in motion a culture of giving back to your alma mater,” Andrews said.
To make the Bullring restoration possible, donations are accepted through the MSU Foundation.
“There are several recognition levels based on the amount of money donated, where the donation is recognized on either an engraved brick in the walkway around the Bullring or with an engraved stone similar to those on the Drill Field walks,” Broyles said. “The initial gifts that got the project started were from the MSU Alumni Association and the Student Association through the senior class gift program.”
The revival of the Bullring will re-establish tradition through unity among all who are connected by MSU.
 ”I can’t wait to see old alumni sitting on the Bullring along with future students, enjoying the Bulldog spirit that makes this the People’s University,” Broyles said.