Shakespeare abridged to provide comedy

Theatre MSU will present The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (abridged) Feb. 24 through Feb. 27 at 7:30 p.m. at Mississippi State University in the McComas Hall theatre. 

The show is set to be an estimated 90 minutes of laugh-out-loud comedy as the audience is taken through every Shakespearean play written. The twist is that only three actors will play every role throughout the performance. 

Senior J.T. Miller, sophomore Mitchell Bentley and freshman Callie Hester, will perform in every play using their own modern-day twists and revisions.  

Theatre Coordinator and Assistant Professor Cody Stockstill said this show is not just for Shakespeare lovers, but instead, for anyone who likes to laugh. 

“I keep describing the show as Saturday Night Live meets Shakespeare,” Stockstill said. “The parody nature of the show really touches on everything.” 

Finance major and cast member Bentley has a similar view to Stockstill. He said the show is going to be hilarious for viewers.

“The show has made us all break character by laughing several times,” Bentley said. “We really play with the idea that we are making up everything as we go.” 

Tickets for this performance and all of Theatre MSU’s upcoming shows and events are $10 and are available to purchase in advance at www.comm.msstate.edu. Tickets are also available at the box office on all performance nights, but on a first-come, first-serve basis. Wheelchair accessible seats will be provided. 

Stockstill said he has never laughed so hard during the rehearsal process as a director.

“These actors are on top of their game and the audience is going to love watching them put on this show,” Stockstill said.