SA ups officer requirements

The South Central branch of the American Society for Microbiology will hold a conference going to be held at the Wise Center Nov. 5-6, at 1 p.m.
    The society is the oldest and largest single life science membership organization in the world. Karen Coats, associate professor in biological sciences, is president of the South Central branch of ASM and was in charge of heading up the committee for planning the conference. Coats said that a number of universities in Louisiana, Mississippi and Arkansas are involved in the South Central branch, and a number of scientists from the universities in these states will attend the conference.
    “There will be more than 85 scientific representations in the areas of bacteriology, virology, applied and environmental microbiology, immunology and eukaryotic microbiology; these representations will be in oral and poster formats,” Coats said.
    The conference will provide graduate students and faculty members a chance to present their research, said Frank Champlin, professor of biological sciences.
    “It provides an opportunity for graduate students to present research, which is the first step toward publication of their work,” Champlin said.
    Gregory Pharr, an associate professor in the College of Veterinary Medicine added that conferences allow researchers to collaborate effort and speed progress.
    “This conference brings together faculty and students from the area to facilitate collaboration, which makes progress faster,” he said.
    Sponsors for the conference the department of biological sciences, the College of Veterinary Medicine, the Life Sciences and Biotechnology Institute and the Office of Research.